Pools of Ruby Essence is a 5-player Dungeon in Dragonflight. It is located in the Shores of Awakening, one of the areas of the Dragon Islands. This is a very short instance with three encounters. You start with Melidrussa Manteglace then continue with Kokia Foulebraise. Finally, you will face Erkhart Stormvein and his mount Kyrakka. Find our Ruby Essence Pools guide below.
The instance is very short. Count less than 20 minutes for the first time you do it if no wipe comes to delay the deadline. You have trash at the beginning, before the first boss, then you have to kill other mobs to unlock Kokia Emberstorm. Once the latter is defeated, you can immediately start the last encounter, no trash coming to get in your way.
The monsters in the Ruby Essence Pools are interesting, including Trolls who, just before dying, become invincible and throw fireballs all over the place. We will also note the existence of enemies who regularly push players back, while others use AoE very frequently, requiring them to move often and therefore to use abilities whose casting time is quite short, under penalty of do not cast many spells during combat.
1. Melidrussa Icemantle
The first boss in the Pools is a Frost Magician. She has many skills that she quickly connects. The fight is fast and you often have to move to avoid getting in the middle of an area effect spell.
What you should know is that almost all of Melidrussa’s spells apply the debuff Primal Thrill. While under the effect of the spell, your movement speed is reduced by 3%. Be careful, the effect stacks up to 10 times. At 10 stacks, your character is frozen for 3 seconds and takes quite a bit of damage every second while Freezing. You must therefore avoid getting there and the healers must be attentive to players who would fall into the trap.
Let’s review the abilities of the Elf:
- cold storm : A large AoE that is systematically launched at a player’s location. It pulls nearby players to its center. If you’re in the area, you take damage every second. After 8 sec, the storm explodes and deals damage to the entire party. During the explosion, you will see plenty of area of effect on the ground. Ice shards will appear there. Don’t touch them, or you’ll receive stacks of Primal Chill.
- Ice Bolt : A cone-shaped attack that deals damage in front of the boss and applies 5 stacks of Primal Chill.
- icy shard : A single-target frost attack that does a lot of damage.
- Frost overload : A spell that the boss channels for 8 seconds. During this time, players take damage and gain a charge of Primal Chill every 2 sec. The spell must be interrupted as quickly as possible.
- Whelps Awakening : The spell will be cast at least twice during the fight. Melidrussa summons several adds that can damage players and apply stacks of Primal Chill. You have to group them together and DPS them quickly to avoid ending up with two waves of adds too close together.
It’s a rather fun fight but not very difficult in Normal mode, the boss having low hit points.
2. Kokia Emberstorm
Once the first boss is eliminated, get on a drake and fly to the upper platform. You will come face to face with Kokia Foulebraise, the second boss. However, this one is impossible to attack. You must go around the area, kill all the trash, in order to wake her up and be able to confront her.
As soon as Kokia is aggressive, go for it and start the fight. The boss alternates the spells that hit the tank and the players in the group, and will not fail to summon adds to lend him a hand.
When the boss reaches 100 energy, which happens at the start of the fight, he will cast Fire Binding Ritual. He will then target a location and launch an AoE which will inflict damage on all players located in the vicinity. Right in the middle of the AoE will appear an add, Blaze Storm. He is a fire elemental who can cast Roaring Inferno, a direct attack spell. It’s not bad, you just have to make sure you DPS the beast. On the other hand, beware of the moment when he will die. The elemental will die in a gigantic explosion that will damage all players within a 20m radius.
For the rest, Kokia is not very difficult to manage because the other skills are quite limited:
- Incendiary Blows : A direct attack that deals damage and applies a DoT for 4 seconds. Hello the tank.
- molten rock : Kokia throws a flaming rock in front of her, which damages all players in the way. The rock is fast, make sure to move as soon as the boss casts the incantation because in addition to damage you will be knocked back and stunned for 3 sec. The rock rolls for 40m then explodes.
3. Erkhart Lightningvein and Kyrakka
Here is the last boss of the dungeon. The encounter begins with Erkhart on the ground attacking the players and Kyrakka attacking the party from the sky. Once one of the two is at 50% health, Erkhart climbs on the mount until the end of the fight.
It is important to fully understand the skills of the two bosses:
- Zephyr : An AoE that hits all players and is impossible to dodge. It doesn’t really hurt, so don’t panic.
- Storm Strike : The attack most often targets the tank. It’s a BIG strike that combines physical and nature damage. It also places a debuff that increases damage taken by 25% for 30 sec. The effect is stackable, which means ABSOLUTELY get Erkhart down to 50% HP as fast as possible.
- Winds of change : A storm that inflicts damage for 4 sec. and attract players.
- Spit of flames : The boss places flames everywhere in the combat zone. You have to move quickly to avoid taking damage. Players hit receive Inner Blaze.
- Roaring Fire Breath : A cone-shaped AoE in front of the boss. Players hit receive Inner Blaze.
- Inner Brazier : This is a debuff that affects players targeted by the boss’s other spells. It applies a DoT that deals damage to affected players. The DoT starts when players have 2 charges of Inner Blaze. In addition to taking damage, affected players explode every second, dealing damage around them. To top it off, players drop an AoE that eventually explodes and leaves the ground burning for 25 sec.
The 3rd encounter can quickly become an unnamed mess, with two bosses dealing with AoEs all over the place. We must focus on Erkhart in order to force him to climb Kyrakka. As you take down the first boss, avoid Kyrakka’s spells as much as possible. Once the two bosses become one, they will both cast spells, but it will be easier to manage.
If it evolves this way, generally it’s badly crossed 😀